Combining contempory Fabrics with Funtional uses

Individually handcrafted clothes and accessories, designed especially for fun, fantastic - slightly whimsical children and their like minded Mummys

Monday, May 31, 2010

I Won I Won an award....

Congratulations to ME - I awarded myself

WORLDS WORST BLOGGER!!!

Do I hear three cheers?


I'm serious, its been a month since my last post - which was announcing my giveaway (which I still haven't drawn - how bad is that!!!!)


What a busy busy last month. Had 3 extremely successful markets, The Barn, The Masonic and took a trip on the weekend to Mathilda's Market in Melbourne...and what a trip it was. I went over with two full suitcases of stock and came home with just one suitcase half empty - so it was great!!!


carrot denim slip

The market was held at the Malvern Town Hall, which is a gorgeous old building and in a fabulous location. There was a total of 70 stall holders and a majority of them were selling clothing of some description, there was also some fabulous toys, homewares and colourful eclectic goodies all made with love, care and pride. When I finally thought and found time to take some photos it was pack up time... see I told you I'm the WORLDS WORST BLOGGER... The day went so fast and I found it amusing in the last hour when stock was dwindling down seeing customers reaching out and grabbing the last of certain products. Towards the end they were even yelling from the side of the table 'I'll have the red and white spot one", referring to bibs, bags etc. I would definitely do another market, though it really is a hard task and leaving my family (considering still feeding by bubs) for two nights. The hardest obstacle I found was trying to fit what I needed into two cases (I thought i was so clever not taking any carry on luggage) but when I got to the airport late on Friday night I was SHOCKED to be fined $170 - for extra baggage (i was 17kg over and its $10 per kg) NOT HAPPY JAN... So I will certainly aim to pack a little wiser. I also encountered many hiccups - a kids washing line I bought over from Tas in its unopened box, was missing the screw - so my stall lacked height, if I'm totally honest my display looked pretty ordinary - it was hard to be creative with limited resources... I was just pleased my Mum was there for the last 10 minutes, as I was able to have a quick wonder. Wow....what talent there is in Melbourne! fabulous products and the workmanship was exquisite! I loved wondering in bewilderment through the aisles, salivating over the fabrics, colours and textures - it really was a crafters, mothers, child's HEAVEN.... Finally big kisses to my Mummy for helping me pack away and for the yummy lunch afterwards - shes staying on in Melbourne for a week!!



One of my only photos - Mum helping me pack up!!



Some of my stock ready to be packed





I participated in The Masonic Market earlier this month and was surprised just how busy I was, considering it was the week before Mothers Day (thought everyone would be spending their money on Mummy pressies) - had a fabulous spot right inside the front door, its really encouraging to have so many repeat customers - big thank you to all of you x

Well that's it for now - just wanted to give you all a little 'low down' on whats been happening and inform you all of my new Title (don't forget) WORLDS WORST BLOGGER...


Talk to you all tomorrow with some pictures and winner of competition....

It was also lovely to meet Angela the wizard behind Kids Style File - check out the link I'm sure you'll all become addicted!




Till then - xx

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have had a huge month!
    I purchased 2 of your bibs in Melbouren at Mathilda's Market and they are beautiful! Ouch to the $170 of extra baggage charge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know - but what they say 'you live-you learn'. I am actually in Tasmania, but I will apply for Mathildas in Hawthorn and see my luck at being accepted. Soo glad you love them

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed you had done the Mathilda's in Melbs and thought I would stop in and ask how it was because I was thinking of trying one myself. So thanks for write up it sounds like it was worth it. I have been thinking of how to pack... that is a tricky proposition and the excess luggage well that just seems a little excessive! I have also been think I will have to rework my display quite a bit. Will you be at the next Hobart Mathilda's?

    best

    Edwina
    (Little Snoring)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Edwina - sorry for the late repy, our internet connection seems to be really slow at the moment and its all very frustrating, hence no blog posts for a while... Anyway to answer your question. Yes i think you should do a market in Melbourne. I think you'll do quite well as your stuff is very unique and I honestly didn;t see anything like what you do there. Most of the stall holders make clothes for girls mostly, so in that area there is way too much competition.It is hard to make your stall look fabulous as we can't take much over with us - but after the first hour, people begin to rummage through and everything gets messy pretty easily. I guess if we are willing to pay $220 for a stall in Hobart, then the same fee of $220 is pretty good considering the volume of people that come to the markets in Melbounrne. If keep your luggage under 20kg then there is no extra charge ( though I did find out once I got to the airport that you can pay an excess baggage fee prior to checking in for $100 for up to 20kg extra, if pay the same at airport its $200!!!. One thing I did notice is your have to keep your prices down in melb to keep competitive (especailly in the girls clothing dept) skirts etc that would sell in hobart markets for say $40 would sell in melb for $25-$30... its a hard one but hey!! you won't know til you give it a go xxx
    hope this helps

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts, please say hello if you popped by xx