Combining contempory Fabrics with Funtional uses

Individually handcrafted clothes and accessories, designed especially for fun, fantastic - slightly whimsical children and their like minded Mummys

Sunday, March 28, 2010

From little things big things grow ....

'Gather round people gonna tell you a story. 'bout .......


Some of you might be able to have picked that my blog heading and above line is from the wonderful song 'from little things, big thing grow' a collaboration of talents by renown Australia singer and story/song writers Paul Kelly and Kev Carmody. Not only is this a 'song protest' but the title bears a simple message to all. Nothing in life can be what you strive for, unless you are willing to undertake a journey which will only come into fruition by courage ,commitment and of course 'PASSION"
All journeys begin with trepidation, self doubt, nerves, excitement, laughter, joy and to some point success!!! Success is only determined by ones ability to understand ones journey from beginning (little things) to to the end(big things). This can be applied to everything we do. Before we start a 'journey' we need to give ourselves a pat on the back and congratulate ourselves for taking the first step - that step in itself is a 'success' - having the guts to give it a go.



Please take the time to read this famous speech by Theodore Roosevelt


"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

"Citizenship in a Republic,"Speech at the Sorbonne, Paris, April 23, 1910


Right - obviously feeling extremely TIRED and philosophical when I began blogging last night!!
I truly love the above speech as well as the Poem ' If ' by Rudyard Kipling
http://www.kipling.org.uk/poems_if.htm please read if you have a few minutes...


MARKET DAY
First off, apologises for the lack of photos on the post (well actually NONE) my camera has gone to "heaven" and as I have been flat out with sewing for the Market which was on last Saturday and work at Hill Street, I haven't had a chance to moosey into town and scout around for a newbie... But tomorrow I have the day off - So excited, plan to spend time with my little man, buy a camera and begin the task of filling all the orders I took at Mathilda's on Saturday. For those who didn't check out the first inaugural market, make sure you don't miss the next one in June or is it July??
I was a great venue and a solid crowd right from the start at 9am. I was lucky enough to score 2 trestle tables to display my wares (stall holder next to me cancelled) so when I arrive Anne informed me I had 2 trestles. Lucky really, as the allnighters ( well 5am bedtime on Friday up at 7am and bed around 3.30am Saturday up at 6) I did on Thursday and Friday well and truly paid off. I was inundated with customer from the start, and was overwhelmed by the positive feedback and number of sales. What has surprised me more is the number of orders I have since received via e-mail since Saturday!!! Which is GREAT - I did say I would get all orders sent out by end of next week - I still hope to achieve this. It was a fun and busy market day and my only two regrets are

1. I didn't have anyone helping me serve and was unable to see ANY of the other stallholders and I really wish I could have - though my wallet is probably thanking me as I'm sure I would have burnt a hole in it...and that I was unable to give all customers 'good service' a few got tired of waiting and walked away...but I simply could not of done anymore

2. I didn't get my a**e into gear and cut all the wonderful boys fabrics I had bought and made into my groovy pants and long shorts (i had full intentions) so to all Mums with little boys I promise to have lots next time!


The market I participated in previously I 'debuted' my nappy clutches and sold out of them. So I was committed to making at least 20 for Mathilda's - but I sold only 1!! I did find that the 'punters' we defiantly a different bunch that would normally attend other markets, certainly they were buying products that aren't as popular elsewhere. i think that's great as it keeps stallholders and fellow crafters on our toes to try new and exciting things concepts.
"one mans trash is another mans treasure" - saying so true, as a florist I used to HATE making bouquets of carnations and gyp (even thinking about it makes me want to puke) but everyone tastes are different and we the suppliers, need to remember that there is no point designing/creating only things that we like, as its no good to us if it doesn't sell.


I was so happy to get home to my family on Saturday afternoon and was so glad to see Ava who was busking at the school fair the same day (i was so sad to have missed her, but mum informs me she was a HIT!!!) she sang songs by Taylor swift and Abba - too cute.



Ive managed to fill this post with not much really - just my usual blah blah blah. Its 11pm and I'm ready for a nap so goodnight to all and I'll update you tomorrow with some great recipes I cooked up tonight - think porcupines and layered choc banana cake xx'

Click on link below to hear Missy Higgins acoustic version of (you can always leave) your shoes under my bed
http://www.paulkelly.com.au/index.php?page=Home



PS - tried to upload some photos of Ava busking but no joy!!! Kept placing at top of page and I couldn't move it - TOO FRUSTRATING which so much that I knew my way around a computer better, can anyone tell me how you can highlight certain words that once licked directs to relevant websites etc??? ( I'm blonde remember)

Its now Tuesday morning and I have just returned from school drop off and a trip to purchase a few items to get started on my orders - all this achieved in the comfort of my ugg boots.... a bit i looked a sight pushing the pram with jeans, cardi and ugg boots (perhaps I even fitted in to the mall scene quite well)...that comment was a bit snobby - sorry!!! Still without camera - couldn't make a decision. little bit more thought into which one yet.

GIVEAWAY COMPETITION
By the looks of it I will be announcing the winner of a $100 voucher sometime today (only need one more follower) so please everyone who has either made a guess without following blog OR followed blog but not made a guess, you must do so to be eligible to win.
Stay tuned for the winner to be announced TONIGHT thats presuming I get another follower between time.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoying reading your blog!
    My daughter wore her dress yesterday and got lovely comments =) xxx

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts, please say hello if you popped by xx